Council Breaks Ground for New Softball Complex
With a cap in hand, Mayor Bob Link told the crowd, "Let us play ball!"
Before too long, that's exactly what will be happening at Riverway Sports Park Phase V.
"Visalia has softball and baseball in our blood, and I know the love of the game firsthand from my days as a batboy with our professional ball club and my days cheering on my daughters in softball," shared Mayor Bob Link. "It’s that same energy that I feel here today as we get ready to break ground."
Wednesday, January 23rd marked a new chapter in Visalia sports history as the City Council, joined by the Parks & Recreation Commission, representatives from the the office of Senator Shannon Grove, the Tulare County Board of Supervisors, the Visalia Unified School District and local sports organizations, broke ground on the newest addition to Riverway Sports Park.
Phase V includes:
- Four-field softball complex that will be designed to match the existing CR Shannon Baseball Complex and will include a restroom and concession facility.
- The addition of LED athletic lights to the five soccer fields on the north side of the park.
- A new well which will not only support the new softball complex, but will also irrigate the CR Shannon Baseball Complex and some of the common, landscaped areas of the Park.
- A Musco Controller to control the athletic field lights, interior park lighting and electrical outlets.
- A new Picnic Arbor.
- The Central Core Parking Lot, which will be constructed adjacent to the park’s Special Event area and will contain 123 parking stalls.
With construction starting now, crews will begin the transformation.
"I look forward to welcoming everyone back here to this same spot to celebrate the grand opening of this new Phase in 2020," added Link.
For more information on Riverway Sports Park, visit www.liveandplayvisalia.com