My Visalia
Close Panel
  • Email
  • Print

News Details

Carbon Monoxide Detector Saves Family

12.21.17

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 03:20 am, the Visalia Fire Department responded to a report of a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector activation in a
single family dwelling.

"Upon arrival, fire personnel discovered the residence had a fire in the fireplace that was not completely extinguished prior to closing the chimney damper," stated Dustin Hall, Visalia Fire Department Support Services Battalion Chief. "This resulted in the release of carbon monoxide into the home from the smoldering materials."

The occupants of the home were alerted by a working carbon monoxide detector, contacted the fire department, and then evacuated the home. Initial readings of carbon monoxide monitoring equipment, revealed significant levels of carbon monoxide in the bedrooms. This was attributed to the heating and ventilation system distributing the carbon monoxide throughout the home.

"Fortunately for the occupants, they had a working carbon monoxide detector in the home. It is reasonable to believe that dangerous levels of carbon monoxide would have continued to be released in the home; resulting in a potentially devastating outcome," added Battalion Chief Hall.

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, claiming the lives of 480 people on average and sending more than 20,000 people to emergency rooms across the nation each year. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced from heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, and many types of appliances and cooking devices.

The best way for homeowners to stay protected from carbon monoxide is to have a carbon monoxide detector installed on every floor and outside each sleeping area. Having a properly functioning carbon monoxide detector is a small investment that can save your life and the lives of your family.

Since July 1, 2011, California law requires owners of single-family homes with attached garages or fossil fuel sources for heating to install carbon monoxide alarms in every California home. In addition, all other dwelling units, such as apartments, were required to have an alarm since January 1, 2013.

Find more details here:
The Visalia Fire Department reminds the public of the importance of having a properly functioning Carbon Monoxide detector in your home.

It truly can be the difference between life and death.

back to top