My Visalia
Close Panel
  • Email
  • Print


My neighbor has a Valley Oak tree (or any other tree) that hangs over my property line and I'm afraid it may cause damage to my property (either through root damage or a falling limb). What can I do about it?

This is a civil matter between two private property owners. The best course of action is to talk to your neighbor, inform them of your concerns.  Another tactic is to inform your property insurance carrier of your concerns, many times they can assist.    There are court cases that have determined an adjacent property owner cannot damage or remove a neighbors tree that hangs over onto their property without their permission.  The City Urban Forestry Division does not resolve civil cases between private property owners.

If you have more questions or want to talk to someone about our Valley Oak trees, please feel free to contact Urban Forestry at 559-713-4428.

back to top