As of August 8, 2017, Visalia is in Stage 1 of the City's Water conservation Ordinance. Click on Water Conservation Ordinance to view the complete City of Visalia Water Conservation Ordinance.
Please report waste of water violations to: 713-4531. Reports may remain anonymous. However, you must provide the violation location, day and approximate time of the violation, and a brief description of what activity was observed.
For more information on Stage 1 Water Conservation regulations click on Watering Regulations.
Para informacion sobre de Estape 1 para obtener más información sobre agua de etapa 1 Reglamento haga clice Las Regulaciones de Agua.
All outdoor landscape irrigation is limited to the following days, times, and durations:
Odd = addresses ending in an odd number (1, 3, 5, 7, 9)
Even = addresses ending in an even number (0, 2, 4, 6, 8)
March through November
- Even addresses water on Wednesday Friday and Sunday
- Odd addresses water on Tuesday and Thursday Saturday
January, February and December
- Even addresses water on Sunday
- Odd addresses water on Saturday
Watering Times and Duration
- Water before 8:00 am or after 6:00 pm on designated watering day. Two or more short cycles are recommended.
- Runoff is prohibited.
- Rain – Irrigation during and within 48 hours after measurable rainfall is prohibited. Measurable rainfall is defined as 1/4 inch or more as measured at the Visalia Airport.
Exceptions to Watering Schedule
- Hand watering of shrubs, trees or vegetables is allowed with a watering can or attended hose with shut-off nozzle. Does not apply to lawns.
- Drip irrigation allowed any day but must follow time restrictions. Drip irrigation means non-spray low-volume irrigation with no emitter greater than 4 gallons per hour.
- Supervised testing or repairing of irrigation system is allowed with official City of Visalia sign (available by clicking on Irrigation Test & Repair Yard Sign ). Sign must be visible while area remains wet.
- A 21-day new plant establishment exception is allowed by permit. Does not apply to installation of new or replanted turf or annual plants unless the new or rehabilitated landscape project has been approved by the Community Development Department in accordance with the State Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance.
Other Provisions and Restrictions
- Washing of sidewalks, driveways, or other paved areas is prohibited, unless it is necessary for the health and safety of the public; use of a low-flow high-pressure washer is required. Runoff is prohibited.
- Overseeding of lawns is prohibited.
- Draining of swimming pools is limited to once every 3 years (with specific exceptions) by permit only. Apply by calling 713-4531 or by clicking on Pool-Draining-Permit.
- Leaks must be repaired within 48 hours of discovery.
- Ornamental fountains must use a water recycling system.
- Car washing is only allowed with a hand-held bucket and/or a hand-held hose equipped with a shutoff nozzle. Runoff is prohibited.
Non-compliance of the City of Visalia Water Conservation Ordinance will result in one written warning from the City of Visalia before the issuance of a citation. A second violation within a 12 month period will result in issuance of a citation with a fine of $125.00; a second citation will result in a fine of $250.00 and a third or more citations fines of $625.00. Willful and egregious violations such as draining a pool without a permit will result in issuance of a citation without a warning. Each day that a violation continues, shall be regarded as a new and separate offense.
In receipt of a City of Visalia Administrative Citation for violating the Water Conservation Ordinance?
Citizens have the following choices:
- Attend one educational water class in lieu of paying the citation fine.
- Sign up for the water class by contacting Natural Resources Conservation at 713-4531 prior to the end of the appeal period.
- Citizens must attend one of the classes within 75 days of the date of their letter.
- Water classes are held on the third Wednesday of every other month. Citizens are always welcome at water education classes, but may only attend in lieu of paying a fine once.
- Pay the citation fine
- Appeal the citation
- If a citizen decides they want to appeal their citation, they would:
- Visit Neighborhood Preservation Division offices in-person at 315 E. Acequia Avenue, inside City Hall East between the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Pay the $100 appeal fee (this fee is non-refundable if the appeal is not upheld, the fee is returned if the hearing is successful) and fill out the appeal request form.
- Citizens receive notification of the date and time of the hearing by mail at least two weeks prior to the date. Hearings are held on the 4th Wednesday of each month, citizens can ask for the hearing to be rescheduled for the following month if they are unable to attend during the assigned time. Citizens may bring legal counsel with them to the hearing.
For more information about the City of Visalia Water Conservation Ordinance please call 713-4531. Thank you for your efforts in helping to preserve our most precious resource . . . water.