My Visalia
Close Panel
  • Email
  • Print

Household Hazardous Waste

We ask that Tulare County residents who plan to bring household hazardous waste materials to the H.H.W facility to remember not to exit their vehicles.  If you have any questions, please call 559-713-4428.

Leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable or reactive ingredients are considered to be Household Hazardous Waste (HHW). Products such as paints, cleaners, oils, batteries and pesticides that contain potentially hazardous ingredients require special care when you dispose of them. 

Improper disposal of HHW can include pouring them down the drain, on the ground, into storm sewers or putting them in the trash. The dangers of such disposal methods might not be immediately obvious, but improper disposal of these wastes pollute the environment and pose a health threat.

The City of Visalia, along with Tulare County, operate the Visalia Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center located at 335 N. Cain St. The collection center is open Saturdays only from 8am to 1pm, except on Dump On Us days when it is open from 7am to noon.

MATTRESS RECYCLING:                                                                                                          

 Tulare County residents are encouraged to drop off their old mattresses and box springs at no-cost at the City of Visalia Corporation Yard located at 335 N. Cain St., during regular Household Hazardous Waste hours of operation (8am to 1pm every Saturday).   For more information on mattress recycling, please click Bye Bye Mattress.

In addition, on the first Saturday of every month the City of Visalia and Community Services & Employment Training (CSET)'s Department of Recycling host an electronic waste recycling drop booth at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility (8am to 1pm.).   Click on Electronic Waste Recycling for a complete list of acceptable items.

More information on H.H.W. disposal options can be found by clicking Household Hazardous Waste Recycling.

While there are a few items that Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center cannot accept, we can help you find ways to properly dispose of them.

Ammunition, Explosives and Fireworks Please call (559) 713-4250

Mid Valley Disposal (559) 237-9425

Pena's Disposal Inc. (559) 528-3909

84 Recycling     (559) 651-2642

Residential Battery Recycling Please call (559) 713-4531
Cooking Oil Please call (559) 713-4428
Electronic Waste Recycling

CSET E-Recycling Solutions (559) 732-4194

Xtreme Electronic Recycling (559) 475-3932

Pena's Disposal Inc. (559) 528-3909

Porterville Corporation Yard (559) 782-7514

Visalia Rescue Mission (559) 740-4178

Electronic Recycling of Tulare County (559)-783-3713

Medical Sharps and Prescription Drugs

The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility does not accept medical sharps.  Click sharps for a list of available mail-back systems.   HHW does accept non-narcotic and over the counter prescriptions. Outdated and unused narcotic prescriptions should be taken to the next DEA Drug Take Back Day event.

Please call (559) 713-4428
Propane Tanks  BSE Rents (559) 732-5621


back to top