Text-To-Track with Transit
With customer service at the forefront of their efforts, Visalia Transit has launched its new Information Technology System (ITS). A standout feature of the new system is the "Text-To-Track."
"Our new technology allows for Real Time Passenger Information (RTPI) which is available at each of our stops within Visalia, we have over 560!" shared Christine Chavez, Visalia Transit. "We're very excited about Text-To-Track, there are signs posted at every stop."
Each stop ID is unique to that location. Users are able to text or call the provided phone numbers, and use that Stop ID to get real time information about the arriving bus.
"Along with this, we've equipped all fixed route vehicles with camera’s, Automated Passenger Counters, and updated Talking Bus feature (Automatic Vehicle Annunciation)," added Chavez. "Talking Bus verbalizes the buses location for anyone who is visually impaired, and serves as a friendly audio reminder for all riders. The features are for riders, we want to make riding public transit easier than ever, and these developments will ultimately improve the public transit experience."
What all is included? The full rundown includes:
- Text-to-Track – When waiting at any Visalia Transit stop, riders can get the exact location and arrival time for the next bus sent directly to their phones. Riders simply text the stop ID listed on the sign at any Visalia Transit bus stop to get an immediate response with real-time bus information. If multiple routes use the same stop, riders will be prompted to select the route they are waiting for.
- VisaliaTransit.info – Riders can visit this website for a live map of all buses that are currently on route. It can be used to pinpoint the exact location of a bus, predict arrival times, send service announcements and rider alerts, and assist with trip planning.
- Talking Bus – The Talking Bus is an on-board and external audible bus system that announces arrivals, identifies stops and makes riding the bus simpler and more efficient, especially for visually-impaired riders. While waiting at a stop, riders will hear when a bus is about to arrive and which route it is. Once on board, riders will hear the stops as they are approached.
- LED Bus Bay Information Signs – Prediction signs are located at each bus bay at the transit center. These signs show arrival predictions for the next bus, the route of the bus and the current time.
- Greenline & Visalia Transit App – These existing systems are a part of the overall technology of Visalia Transit and will be enhanced by the new technology features available. Riders can still call the Greenline at 877-40-GO-GREEN to speak with a live representative and ask any questions about public transportation in Tulare County. The Visalia Transit app has real-time bus tracking, schedules, maps, stop alerts, bus arrival notifications, service announcements and more. It is available on iOS (Apple) and Android.
For more information, visit www.KeepMovingVisalia.com or call (877) 404-6473.