In response to the National Weather Service forecast of hot weather for the first part of the week, the City of Visalia Transit Center will open as a Cooling Center for the community’s use from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday, 7/7 and Sunday, 7/8.
The Visalia Fire Department will be reviewing the forecast on Monday, July 9th to determine if the cooling center will need to remain open.
The Transit Center, located at 425 E. Oak Ave., provides amenities such as ample seating, vending machines and restrooms. All of the Bus Routes eventually lead to the Transit Center, providing convenient transportation.
The Visalia Fire Department provides the following tips to help cope with the coming heat:
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun and, when possible, stay in the shade or an air- conditioned room.
- Wear loose fitting, light colored clothes.
- Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids.
- Never leave children or pets in a vehicle, even for short periods of time.
- Temperatures inside vehicles can climb rapidly to life-threatening levels, even with the windows partially open.
- Periodically check on children and the elderly.
- Remember that animals are affected by the heat. Make sure pets and farm animals have plenty of water and access to shade.
For further information, contact the Visalia Fire Department at 559-713-4244.
Stay up to date on Visalia Fire Department news by following them on Twitter @visaliafire.