No Watering Effective December 1st
Effective Thursday, December 1st, watering is not permitted on any day.
The City of Visalia Natural Resource Conservation Division reminds citizens that watering will not be allowed for the months of December, January and February.
The City of Visalia receives it's water from groundwater and water conservation is the most cost-effective and environmentally sound way to reduce our demand for water, even stretching to protect our natural resources.
Exceptions to Watering Schedule:
- Hand watering of shrubs, trees or vegetables is allowed with a watering can or attended hose with shut-off nozzle. Does not apply to lawns.
- Drip irrigation allowed any day but must follow time restrictions. Drip irrigation means non-spray low-volume irrigation with no emitter greater than 4 gallons per hour.
- Supervised testing or repairing of irrigation system is allowed with official City of Visalia sign (available by clicking on Irrigation Test & Repair Yard Sign ). Sign must be visible while area remains wet.
- A 21-day new plant establishment exception is allowed by permit. Does not apply to installation of new or replanted turf or annual plants unless the new or rehabilitated landscape project has been approved by the Community Development Department in accordance with the State Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance.
Other Provisions and Restrictions
- Washing of sidewalks, driveways, or other paved areas is prohibited, unless it is necessary for the health and safety of the public; use of a low-flow high-pressure washer is required. Runoff is prohibited.
- Washing of buildings is prohibited unless preparing the building for sale or painting; use of a low-flow high-pressure washer is required. Runoff is prohibited.
- Overseeding of lawns is prohibited.
- Filling or re-filling ornamental lakes or ponds is prohibited, except to the extent needed to sustain aquatic life.
- Leaks must be repaired within 48 hours of discovery.
- Ornamental fountains must use a water recycling system.
- Car washing is only allowed with a hand-held bucket and/or a hand-held hose equipped with a shutoff nozzle. Runoff is prohibited.
No-watering will be enforced by the City of Visalia. Non-compliance of the City of Visalia Water Conservation Ordinance will result in one written warning from the City of Visalia before the issuance of a citation.
A second violation within a 12 month period will result in issuance of a citation with a fine of $125.00; a second citation will result in a fine of $250.00 and a third or more citations fines of $625.00. Willful and egregious violations such as draining a pool without a permit will result in issuance of a citation without a warning. Each day that a violation continues, shall be regarded as a new and separate offense.
For more information about the City of Visalia Water Conservation Ordinance please call 713-4531.