City-Wide Watering Schedule is Now One Day Per-Week
For the month of December, January and February, watering is permitted one day per week.
The City of Visalia Natural Resource Conservation Division reminds citizens that watering is allowed one day per week, depending on their address.
Odd addresses ending in 1,3,5,7, and 9 may water on Saturday before 8 a.m. and/or after 6 p.m.
Even addresses ending in 0,2,4,6, and 8 may water on Sunday before 8 a.m. and/or after 6 p.m. All runoff is prohibited
The City of Visalia receives its water from groundwater and water conservation is the most cost-effective and environmentally sound way to reduce our demand for water, even stretching to protect our natural resources.
Exceptions to Watering Schedule:
- Hand watering of shrubs, trees or vegetables is allowed with a watering can or attended hose with shut-off nozzle. Does not apply to lawns.
- Drip irrigation allowed any day but must follow time restrictions. Drip irrigation means non-spray low-volume irrigation with no emitter greater than 4 gallons per hour.
- Supervised testing or repairing of irrigation system is allowed with official City of Visalia sign (available by clicking on Irrigation Test & Repair Yard Sign ). The sign must be visible while area remains wet.
- A 21-day new plant establishment exception is allowed by permit. Does not apply to the installation of new or replanted turf or annual plants unless the new or rehabilitated landscape project has been approved by the Community Development Department in accordance with the State Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance.
Other Provisions and Restrictions
- Washing of sidewalks, driveways, or other paved areas is prohibited unless it is necessary for the health and safety of the public; use of a low-flow high-pressure washer is required. Runoff is prohibited.
- Washing of buildings is prohibited unless preparing the building for sale or painting; use of a low-flow high-pressure washer is required. Runoff is prohibited.
- Overseeding of lawns is prohibited.
- Filling or re-filling ornamental lakes or ponds is prohibited, except to the extent needed to sustain aquatic life.
- Leaks must be repaired within 48 hours of discovery.
- Ornamental fountains must use a water recycling system.
- Car washing is only allowed with a hand-held bucket and/or a hand-held hose equipped with a shutoff nozzle. Runoff is prohibited.
Non-compliance of the City of Visalia Water Conservation Ordinance will result in one written warning from the City of Visalia before the issuance of a citation.
A second violation within a 12 month period will result in the issuance of a citation with a fine of $125.00; a second citation will result in a fine of $250.00 and a third or more citations fines of $625.00. Willful and egregious violations such as draining a pool without a permit will result in the issuance of a citation without a warning. Each day that a violation continues, shall be regarded as a new and separate offense.
For more information about the City of Visalia Water Conservation Ordinance please call 713-4531 or visit www.gogreenvisalia.com