My Visalia
Close Panel
  • Email
  • Print

News Details

Accidental Fire Destroys Visalia Home

This morning at  10:15 a.m., the Visalia Fire Department were dispatched to a residential structure fire at 410 W. Murray Avenue.

Upon arrival, the first fire unit on the scene observed smoke coming from a small, single story residence located nearby at 501 W. Murray. The unit entered the building and immediately had heavy smoke down to the floor level.

The fire crew quickly extinguished the fire and began the overhaul process. A home of four, the tenant arrived home after the Fire Department searched the house for any occupants.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, as a floor furnace that had combustible materials sitting on top was the cause of the blaze. All utilities were secured to the residence and the American Red Cross was notified to assist the family of four that was living there.

The estimated loss to the property was approximately $40,000, and the property was estimated to be valued at $150,000. Damage to the contents was approximately $15,000.

The Visalia Fire Department reminds citizens that as the weather gets colder, always remember to move all combustibles at least three feet away from built-in or portable space heaters.

back to top