My Visalia
Close Panel
  • Email
  • Print


Do I still have to license my dog or cat even if they have a microchip?

Yes, you still have to license your animal even if they are microchip and they must wear that license when out in public.  One of the benefits of licensing is that a neighbor or motorist who finds a lost animal can call the shelter to identify that animal's owner using the tag.  A microchip can only be traced by a shelter, vet or animal control officer.  Licensing reunites the animals with their owner, as well as saving the animal a trip to the shelter, where the owner would have to pay impound fees and a fine to redeem their pet. 

How do I replace my dog or cats license tag(s)?

Replacement tags are available at a cost of $1.00 for both dog and cats.  The tag must be current; if it is not current then you must pay the regular license fee and maybe a penalty fee.  Please contact Animal Services at (559) 713-4686 for more information.

How long does it take to receive a license once it's been paid for?

It can take up to two (2) weeks before you receive a license in the mail.  If information is missing or incomplete, that may lead to a delay in processing the license application. 

How long is the license good for and when does it expire?

Since City of Visalia by law cannot issue a license for a period that exceeds the period in which the rabies vaccination will expire, the term of the license will coincide with the dates for which the rabies vaccination is valid.  This insures that the vaccination will expire at the same time as the license. For example if your dog was vaccinated in June, but you did not purchase the license until many months following June, your license will expire in June of the following year, when your next vaccination is due. 

I adopted a dog and or cat from Valley Oak SPCA and live in City limits of Visalia and haven’t received my license tag?

If you adopted a companion animal from Valley Oak SPCA, you should have completed the necessary paperwork for the issuance of an animal license at the same time.  Typically, you should have received your license in the mail within two (2) weeks.  If it has been longer than that, please contact the Animal Services licensing department at (559) 713-4686 to follow-up.

I have a dangerous animal, snake on my property

Contact 559-713-4957.

I have a problem with barking dogs

Contact Animal Services at (559) 713-4700.

I have a problem with bees

Contact  Jeff Fultz at (559) 713-4426.

I have lost my pet

Contact the Animal Care Center at (559) 713-4700.

I paid for a tag at my vets office and received the tag to put on his collar. Isn't that a license tag?

The tag you receive from the veterinarian is either a rabies tag or, more commonly, a Pet Identification tab.  Local veterirnarians are not currently authorized agents for Animal Licensing in the City of Visalia.

Please contact Animal Services at (559) 713-4686 or visit the City's website to get your pet licensed.

I paid for a tag but I haven’t received it?

Several years ago, the City transitioned to "Forever" tags for animal licensing.  If you are renewing your pet's license, you will only receive a new tag if your previous tag needs to be replaced.  If you applied for a new pet license and submitted the application by mail, it could take as long as two (2) weeks to receive your pet's license.  If it has been longer than that, please contact our office at  (559) 713-4686 for more information.

I want to adopt a pet (dogs, cats & rabbits)

Contact Valley Oak SPCA at (559) 651-1111

I want to report a stray dog / cat

Cats are considered Free Roaming by State statute and therefore, Animal Services will not pick up stray cats.  If you wish to report a stray dog, Contact Animal Services Dispatch at  (559) 713-4957.

I want to report an abused pet

Contact Valley Oak SPCA at (559) 713-4700.

I want to volunteer to work with animals

Contact Valley Oak SPCA at (559) 713-4700.

Is my personal information made public after I submit my license application?

We do not distribute or sell contact information for pet owners.  The contact information you provide is used to reunite you with your pet, should your pet become lost and found.  Licensing can help prevent your pet from unnecessarily being picked up by Animal Control officers and impounded at the shelter.  For example, if your pet is found by a neighbor and the neighbor calls the shelter with your dog or cat license number, our licensing clerk will than give the caller the contact information on the license tag.  The neighbor may choose to return the dog to you directly and this can save you from hassles and an impound fee at the shelter. 

What happens if I don't get a license for my pet?

City Ordinances require all dogs and cats, over the age of four (4) months, to be licensed.  Additionally, there is an ordinance that requires your pet to wear their license.  Enforcement will vary depending on the situation.  In most cases, if an animal control officer contacts you and your pet (for any number of reasons) and finds that the animal is not licensed, you will be issued an administrative citation.  The administrative citation can be issued as a warning only or may include a $100 fine if it is determined that the owner has previously been issued a warning.

What should I do with a stray cat that I've found.

Unfortunately, Animal Services does not pick up stray cats.  However, you can take the stray cat to the City Animal Shelter and every attempt will be made to find a home for it.

What types of fees and process can I expect to encounter when I attempt to redeem my pet from the City Animal Shelter?

If your animal has been impounded or mistakenly taken to the shelter as a stray, there is a process for redeeming that animal.

Shelter staff will require you to fill out the proper forms, which will include enough information to verify that you are the legal owner of the animal.  In addition to the paperwork, you will be responsible to pay all related fees before the animal will be returned to your care.  Those fees shall include, but are not limited to, licensing fees, boarding fees, vaccinations, impound fees, failure to restrain penalties and any other fees required by the City Ordinances.

When my dog gets a rabies shot, does my veterinarian notify Animal Services? If so, why do I have to mail in a copy of the certificate?

Yes, local veterinarians notify the licensing department of all dogs who receive a rabies vaccine.  It is the owner's responsibility to mail the rabies certificate within 30 days of the shot before a penalty will be applied.  Once we receive that information it can take up to 3 months before any rabies information is updated or entered in our computer software program

Where are the dog parks?

Seven Oaks Park
900 Edison Plaza Park
Plaza & Airport Drive
Visalia, CA

Where can I get my pet spayed or neutered?

Contact Valley Oak SPCA Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic at (559) 741-1121.

Where do I get a license for my dog / cat?

Contact City of Visalia Animal Services at (559) 713-4686.

Where is the animal shelter?

How To Get to Animal Care Center
29016 Highway 99, Visalia
1.5 miles north of Caldwell Ave. (280) on frontage road (Dia. 85)

click on blue pin for directions

Why does my pet have to be licensed?

City ordinances require all pets, over the age of four (4) months, to be licensed.  Pets are required to be licensed in order to verify that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies.  Additionally, pets that are licensed are returned to their owners at a much higher rate than unlicensed animals and even those that are just microchipped.

Rabies is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system. The virus is usually passed to humans via the bite of a rabid animal. Occasionally rabies can be transmitted if the saliva of an infected animal gets into a fresh scratch, break in the skin, or contact with mucous membranes (eyes, mouth, nose). In California, most cases of rabies occur in skunks and bats. Domestic animals account for three percent of animal rabies, and the rest occurs in a variety of wild animals, including foxes.  Rabies can be prevented by being a responsible pet owner. Keep rabies vaccinations up-to-date for all cats and dogs. Spay or neuter your pets to help reduce the number of unwanted pets, that may not be properly cared for or vaccinated regularly.  Lastly, call animal control to remove all stray animals from your neighborhood since these animals may be unvaccinated or ill.  To find out more information about rabies you can visit

I have a problem with rats & other pests

Contact Tulare County Environmental Health at (559) 733-6441.

back to top